Whether you are single or married, a body pillow is a great add-on to any bed. It not only makes a good purchase for couples who need an extra headpiece for sleeping, it can also be a versatile present for newlyweds or couples celebrating their anniversaries. It is especially appreciated by people who sleep with more than just one pillow, as well as those who are suffering from discomfort while sleeping. In fact, a body pillow can reportedly serve as a great pregnancy pillow for the comfort it gives.
If you are looking for a body pillow for yourself, you may realize that the process entails more than just picking the first one you see on the shelf. There are countless choices in the stores: some body pillows are straight, some come in a curved shape, and still others come in a giant U-shape. You may also find it overwhelming to see the varying price points, and although you may initially want to get the one with the lowest price, you’re wondering if you may be compromising anything in terms of quality.
The following are the important considerations when choosing a body pillow:
- Price – Obviously, you may already have a price point in mind, so you are not considering buying the body pillow that is several times more expensive than its counterparts. But once you have settled on a budget, you need to take the other factors into consideration.
- Size – From among the products in the same price range, check the size of the pillow. The common sense rule is that the bigger pillow would require more materials, meaning it costs more to produce. This gives you an idea of which body pillow is worth more money.
- Filling – Filling quality varies, and a higher quality filling will likely be offered in the more expensive pillows. Different types of filling will tell you whether the pillow will be prone to flattening, can be fluffed up easier, will be able to hold its shape, its hypoallergenic properties, and perhaps whether it can hold in heat or release body heat, as well as how easily it can be washed. For example, the Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow boasts of beadlike filling that can absorb heat from your body, and if you can find the same type of material for a body pillow, you will be in for a refreshing night’s sleep.
- Shape or design – In terms of price consideration, a strange shape tends to be more difficult to manufacture compared to straight ones. But your choice of design or shape will depend highly on your particular preferences and usage. For example, if you tend to be a back sleeper, you would need support for both sides of your body. A side sleeper would likely need support for the front and the back. A u-shaped pillow works best for providing this type of support, whereas a person who only wants support between his knees will benefit from a long and straight body pillow. A C-shaped pillow can give enough support for the head as well as the neck and knees, but cannot be expected to provide support for the back.
- Versatility – A body pillow will have a certain degree of versatility as affected by its design. Longer pillows will also be more versatile in terms of allowing you to use it for multiple positions, such as back or side sleeping as well sitting up in bed to read or watch TV, too.
- Warranty – Does the body pillow come with a warranty against flattening? You may need to look into this especially if you are doubtful about the body pillow keeping its shape.
- Size – The size of the pillow required will largely depend on the size of the person using it. For example, a child will obviously be more comfortable with a smaller body pillow. A person who wants to bring it along for travel will also likely want a smaller or petite pillow. Majority of adults, for regular use, can benefit from a standard body pillow.
With these important considerations, you may be able to make a more informed decision of choosing a body pillow for your needs. Once you have found the one you want, do think about the possibility of needing an extra pillow case, so that you won’t have to stop using your body pillow while the pillow case is in the laundry. To make your task easier, opt for a pillow case with a dual zipper for ease of getting it onto the body pillow.